OWN DELIVERS BEST QUARTER IN NETWORK HISTORY
July 2, 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 2, 2013
OWN: OPRAH WINFREY NETWORK DELIVERS BEST QUARTER IN NETWORK HISTORY
For June, OWN Ranks as Top 5 Cable Network On All Of Television For African-American Women 25-54 and Top 25 Cable Network In Key Women 25-54 Demo
For June in AA Women 25-54 on Tuesday and Wednesday, OWN is #1 Cable Network for the Night in Primetime
OWN Q2 2013 Delivers +32% Growth Versus Q1 2013
Los Angeles - OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network scored its best quarter in network history delivering a +32% growth in second quarter 2013 in primetime versus first quarter making OWN a Top 5 cable network for African-American women 25-54.
In addition for the month of June, OWN delivered its best month ever ranked as the #4 network in all of television for African-American women (#3 in cable) and #21 of all ad-supported cable networks in the key demo of women 25-54 driven by the network's first scripted series from Tyler Perry "The Haves and the Have Nots" and "Love Thy Neighbor," airing on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, respectively. OWN was the #1 cable network on Tuesday and Wednesday nights AA women 25-54, with both series ranking among the Top 5 original series in primetime in all of television for AA women 25-54. Month to month, OWN was the fastest-growing ad-supported cable network among W25-54 (+100%), A25-54 (+100%), A18-49 (+100%), Households (+77%) and Total Viewers (+87%).
Key Q2 2013 series highlights include:
- The Haves and The Have Nots (Tuesdays at 9 p.m.) - The first scripted drama on OWN from Tyler Perry premiered May 28 with two back-to-back episodes attracting 1.77 million viewers for the premiere episode at 9 p.m. (1.57 W25-54 rating) building to over 1.8 million viewers for the second episode at 10 p.m. (1.67 W25-54 rating) marking the highest rated series premiere in network history. The series delivered its highest rated episode on June 26 reaching over 1.82 million viewers. Season-to-date the series is averaging 1.44 W25-54 rating and 1.6 million viewers.
- Love Thy Neighbor (Wednesdays at 9 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.) - The first scripted comedy on OWN from Tyler Perry premiered May 29 with two back-to-back half hour episodes. The premiere episode (9 p.m.) scored 1.65 million viewers (1.44 W25-54 rating). The second episode (9:30 p.m.) built to 1.8 million viewers (1.56 W25-54 rating), growing +8% in the network's key demo W25-54 and +9% in total viewers. Season-to-date the series is averaging a 1.01 W25-54 rating and 1.15 million total viewers at 9 p.m. and a 1.11 W25-54 rating and 1.3 million total viewers at 9:30 p.m.
- Oprah's Next Chapter(Sundays at 9 p.m.) - Black Women in Hollywood featuring Phylicia Rashad, Gabrielle Union, Viola Davis and Alfre Woodard on June 23 scored a .94 W25-54 rating and 1 million viewers. It was the highest rated Sunday episode of the series since last fall.
- Iyanla: Fix My Life (Saturdays at 9 p.m.) - The season premiere on April 13 with rapper DMX attracted 1.8 million total viewers with 1.4 million tuning in for the 90-minute premiere from 9-10:30 p.m. and an additional 420,000 viewers for the encore at 12 a.m. The premiere episode was up +22% W25-54 versus its series debut (Sept. 15, 2012 featuring Evelyn Lozada) and built every half hour +27% over the course of the telecast.
- Raising Whitley(Saturdays at 10 p.m.) - The series debut (April 20) garnered a .83 W25-54 rating and 788,731 total viewers.
- Life with La Toya(Saturdays at 10:30 p.m.) - The series debut (April 13) attracted 1.2 million total viewers and a 1.17 W25-54 rating.
- Super Soul Sunday (Sundays at 11 a.m.) - The Daytime Emmy Award-winning series tied its thirdhighest rated episode to date on June 23 featuring Grammy award-winning artist India.Arie (.31 W25-54).
- Dark Girls (Sunday, June 23 at 10:00 p.m.) - The original documentary by filmmakers Bill Duke and D. Channsin Berry was the highest rated documentary premiere in network history scoring 1 million total viewers and a .91 W25-54 rating.
Source: The Nielsen Company
OWN ratings are coverage ratings.
About OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network
OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network is the first and only network named for, and inspired by, a single iconic leader. Oprah Winfrey's heart and creative instincts inform the brand - and the magnetism of the channel. Winfrey provides leadership in programming and attracts superstar talent to join her in primetime, building a global community of like-minded viewers and leading that community to connect on social media and beyond. OWN is a singular destination on cable. Depth with edge. Heart. Star power. Connection. And endless possibilities. OWN is a joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications. The network debuted on January 1, 2011 and is available in 85 million homes. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform Oprah.com.
For more, please visit www.press.discovery.com/us/own
Follow on Twitter @OWNTV
# # #
OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network