As one of the first reporters for Discovery News, Jennifer has covered everything from great white sharks to Transylvanian dinosaurs and climate change. A former columnist for Knight Ridder Digital and author at The Princeton Review, Jennifer has written over 20 children's and young adult books and has been nominated for and won numerous journalism and online awards, including two Interactive Media Awards. Jennifer is based in San Francisco, California.
Beyond the Bio
- The biggest story I've covered was...the 9/11 terrorist attacks, when I interviewed and assisted policemen and victims on the night of the tragedy. I also covered the 2000 U.S. presidential elections, securing private interviews with Al Gore and George W. Bush. I additionally reported on animal abuses that led to research method changes for king penguins, sea turtles and other species.
- When I'm not covering animal science and the environment, you'll find me...sharing the latest news about dogs and cats for Studio One Networks, where I help to produce two programs. You might also find me whipping up new vegetarian dishes, as I am a cookbook author and was a food columnist for many years.
- I became interested in science thanks to...growing up within walking distance of a zoo and wilderness areas, which gave me firsthand exposure to nature and piqued a lifelong curiosity about what connects our species to the rest of the animal kingdom.
- Favorite Quote: "We're all one or none." - Dr. "Magic Soap" Bronner
- Education: Wellesley College (Bachelor of Arts with Honors in English); University of California at Berkeley (coursework in the Department of Forestry and Natural Resources)
- Areas of Concentration: animals, environment, conservation, paleontology, anthropology and archaeology.
- Academic Work: With an advisory team of professors and medical doctors, authored the world's first detailed reports concerning climate change and human health for Physicians for Social Responsibility.
- Career Honors: Two "Outstanding Achievement in Website Development" awards, two Summit Creative Awards for website design and functionality, Internet Advertising Competition award for "Best Consumer Goods Rich Media Online Campaign," Bank of America Language Arts award, Society of Environmental Journalists award nominee, James Beard Award nominee, AAAS Best Online Journalist award finalist.
- Professional Memberships: Animal Behavior Society, American Association for the Advancement of Science, National Association of Science Writers, Science and Natural History Producers
- Discovery News Articles by Jennifer Viegas
- Twitter: @jenniferviegas
- Also contributes to
Sample On-Air and Online Interviews
- Smart Women Interview (Segment #10) (Betty's List)
- Musical Performance in the Stone Age (WNYC's Soundcheck)
- Cool Jobs: Giraffe Keeper (Discovery News)
- Discovery News Podcasts (Available on iTunes)