DC CUPCAKES Sister Blog Contest
July 8, 2010
Exhibit A - Official Rules
DC CUPCAKES DC SISTER BLOG CONTEST
INTERNET ACCESS AND A TWITTER ACCOUNT REQUIRED. SPONSORED BY DISCOVERY COMMUNICATIONS, LLC. TWITTER IS NOT A SPONSOR OF THIS PROMOTION
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
OFFERED ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ("U.S."), AGED 18 YEARS OR OLDER.
1. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal U.S. residents who are 18 years of age at time of entry and have Internet access as of as of July 8, 2010. Employees, officers and directors of Discovery Communications, LLC (the "Sponsor"), its subsidiaries, affiliates, TV production partners, participating cable providers including local ad sales systems, participating local advertisers, advertising agencies, promotional suppliers and the immediate family members (spouses, siblings, children and parents, regardless of where they live) or members of the same households (whether related or not) of such employees, officers and directors (collectively, "Sponsor and its agents") are not eligible.. All applicable federal, state, and local laws apply. Void in Puerto Rico and where prohibited or restricted by law.
2. CONTEST ENTRY DATES: The DC CUPCAKES Sister Blog Contest (the "Contest") begins at 12:01 AM Eastern Time ("ET") on July 8, 2010 and ends at 11:59 PM ET on July 23, 2010 (the "Contest Period").
3. CONTEST ENTRY DETAILS: To enter the contest, entrants post an original blog post on their web site detailing their favorite memory with their sister. All entrants must post from their personal Twitter account a link to the blog post using the hashtag "#TLCsisters" and "#DCcupcakes", and must be followers of @TLC at the end of the Contest Period. At the end of the contest period, one Grand Prize Winner will be chosen by Katherine Kallinis and Sophie LaMontagne, based on the following criteria: Originality (30%), Quality of Writing (30%), Emotional Impact (30%) and Visual Presentation (10%). In the event of a tie, the entrant with the highest Originality score wins.
4. CONTEST PRIZES: After the Contest Period, Sponsor will award one (1) Grand Prize to the Grand Prize Winner: One (1) $500 VISA gift card. Approximate Retail Value ("ARV") is $500 USD. No prize substitution, in whole or in part, except by Sponsor due to prize unavailability, safety or security considerations, or any other reason as solely determined by Sponsor in which case a prize of comparable or greater value will be awarded.
5. GENERAL: All taxes on prizes and all expenses related to acceptance and use of prizes and not specified are sole responsibility of winners. Grand Prize Winners will be notified by email, phone, Twitter message, postal mail and/or express mail at Sponsor's sole discretion. If a winner is 18 or older, as is required for entry, but not of the age of majority in state of residence, prize will either be awarded in the name of parent or legal guardian, or parent or legal guardian must ratify and sign any and all documents required of winner. Entry must be entirely original to the entrant, created by the entrant and must NOT include any copyrighted material including but not limited to music, films, books, television programming, etc., or identifying descriptions of any media property without permission. Inability to contact a winner or the return of any prize notification as undeliverable will result in the prize being forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. By participating, entrants agree [a] to these rules and decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final in all respects relating to this Contest; [b] to release, discharge and hold harmless Sponsor, its subsidiaries and affiliates from any and all injuries, liability, losses and damages of any kind resulting from their participation in the Contest or their acceptance, use or misuse of prize including, without limitation, personal injury, death and property damage; and if a winner, [c] to the use of his or her name and/or photograph for advertising, publicity and promotional purposes in all media, including but not limited to on air and within www.discovery.com, without compensation (unless prohibited by law) and agree to execute specific consent to such use upon request. Sponsor is not responsible for and shall not be liable for: [a] electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet, or computer malfunctions, failures, or difficulties of any kind, including without limitation, server malfunction or for any human, typographical, printing or other error relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors which may occur in the administration of the Contest, processing of entries; the announcement of the prize or in any Contest-related materials, [b] failed, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions; [c] late, lost, misdirected or incomplete entries or postage-due mail; [d] damage to entrants' or any person's computer or the contents thereof; [e] any condition caused by events that may cause the Contest to be disrupted or corrupted; or [f] any damage to prizes during shipping or delivery. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest if fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Sponsor's reasonable control impairs the integrity of the Contest (or portion thereof), as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and limit entries to those submitted prior to the action taken, or to proceed in such a manner as may be deemed fair and equitable by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. In the event of a dispute as to any registration or play, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register will be deemed to be the registrant or player. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, Internet service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Potential winners may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder and/or proof of employment by a cable or satellite operator. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or the Web Site; to be acting in violation of the Official Rules; to be acting in violation of the terms of the Web site, or to be acting in a non-sportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Internet entry must be made by the entrant only at an authorized web site address. Entries may not be made by any other individual or any entity, and/or originating at any other Internet website or e-mail address, including but not limited to commercial sweepstakes subscription notification and/or entering service sites. Any winner who enters by any of the methods described above will be disqualified and an alternate winner selected. Use of any device to automate entry is prohibited. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any entry at any time in the event it is determined that the entrant has not complied with these Official Rules. This contest is governed by the laws of the State of Maryland, with jurisdiction and venue in Montgomery County, Maryland, and all claims must be resolved in the courts of Montgomery County, Maryland.
7. WINNER LIST: For a list of winners, mail a self-addressed, stamped envelope to be received by August 1, 2010, to: DC CUPCAKES Sister Blog Contest, One Discovery Place, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
SPONSOR: Discovery Communications, LLC, One Discovery Place, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
Twitter, Inc. is not a sponsor of this Sweepstakes. Any third party trademarks mentioned herein are the property of their respective trademark owners. The use or mention of such third party trademarks in these Official Rules or in the Sweepstakes is solely for descriptive purposes and shall in no way imply an endorsement or sponsorship of the Sweepstakes.
©2010 Discovery Communications, LLC. All rights reserved.