NEW EPISODES OF DISCOVERY CHANNEL’s MYTHBUSTERS RETURN APRIL 6 AT 9PM ET/PT
March 16, 2011
Batten down the hatches! The Emmy®-nominated series MYTHBUSTERS returns April 6 with all-new explosive episodes airing every Wednesday at 9PM ET/PT. Hosted by Jamie Hyneman, Adam Savage, Tory Belleci, Grant Imahara and Kari Byron, MYTHBUSTERS is inspiring a generation to inquire, interact and get involved with science by proving or disproving popular myths, misconceptions or legends.
In the episode premiering Wednesday, April 6 at 9PM ET/PT, MYTHBUSTERS takes on common scenarios from two action packed films. First up, Adam and Jamie question whether realistic facial masks could be used to thwart security, as seen in Mission Impossible. The duo get replicas of their own faces created and test it out on friends, fans and even Jamie's dog. Meanwhile, Kari, Tory and Grant hit the playground to test a myth from the movie Shoot Em Up, in which a baby on a merry-go-round is in danger as shots are fired by movie villains. To disrupt their aim, the hero shoots a round of bullets into the merry-go-round to push it around, hoping the force of the bullets spins the baby out of harm's way. Is this propulsion due to physics, or is it just cinema spin?
Other myths tested in the latest round of new episodes include:
- Can you shoot a dropped gun out of your enemy's reach?
- Can you run on water? Adam and Jamie investigate the popular viral video "liquid mountaineering."
- Can an everyday item be used as an effective bomb shelter? Tory, Grant and Kari test items like tables and dumpsters - using three pounds of plastic explosive!
- Is it possible to swim in fizzy water? Yes, this one includes a carbonated swimming pool!
- Can you split a tree down the middle with a stick of dynamite on a bow and arrow?
- How much do cliché movie sound effects like punches, cocked guns, rattlesnakes and car squeals, sound like the real thing?
- Faced with no wind to power your sailboat, can you blow your own sail by putting a fan in the boat? It works for Popeye, but will it work for the MythBusters?
- Spy car myths: Can you really shoot accurately with guns mounted on the hood of a car? Can you really shred someone's tires with a device that comes out of your hubs?
- Can corks in wine bottles be turned into projectiles if exposed to enough pressure?
- Can you light an underground cavern by positioning metal discs in a reflective pattern and bouncing light from one surface to the next, as seen in the movie The Mummy?
- Is a long fall into water really as bad as falling onto concrete?
Having first premiered in October 2003, MYTHBUSTERS is Discovery Channel's longest running regular series. Since its launch, MYTHBUSTERS has executed approximately 2,400 experiments, and tested 769 myths over 168 episodes. (See http://press.discovery.com/us/dsc/programs/mythbusters/ for a complete breakdown of the numbers)
About Discovery Channel
Discovery Channel is dedicated to creating the highest quality non-fiction content that informs and entertains its consumers about the world in all its wonder, diversity and amazement. The network, which is distributed to 100.8 million U.S. homes, can be seen in over 180 countries, offering a signature mix of compelling, high-end production values and vivid cinematography across genres including, science and technology, exploration, adventure, history and in-depth, behind-the-scenes glimpses at the people, places and organizations that shape and share our world. For more information, please visit www.discovery.com.
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world's number one nonfiction media company reaching more than 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers in over 180 countries. Discovery empowers people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity through 100-plus worldwide networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Science Channel, Investigation Discovery, Planet Green and HD Theater, as well as leading consumer and educational products and services, and a diversified portfolio of digital media services including HowStuffWorks.com. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.
EMBEDDABLE VIDEO from the 4/6 premiere episode:
How to Be a Hyneman: http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-how-to-be-a-hyneman.html
FAN SITE: http://discovery.com/mythbusters